Saturday 16 February 2013

Get paid to blog (and lots more!)

Life/career

I've been off the radar for a while, having a bit of a digital detox!
Lots has been going on, I went on my annual ski trip, had my birthday (Valentine's day, double bubble for me) and being away from my laptop was a nice break, needed to clear my head and focus on things like my new freelance career and trying to build up my portfolio.

The Power of the Hour

So I thought I'd share something that has helped me earn money and build up a client base without moving from my chair! Having been reading other blogs I know there is a lot of talent out there, so how
about if you could get paid for that? Well writing at least.

People Per Hour, you may have heard of it, is a website for freelancers with a whole range of categories from admin, design, marketing, social media and everything in between. You fill out your profile then bid on jobs you think you can do, selling your skills to potential buyers and saying why you are best for the job. If you win, you complete the job and get paid securely via the site and you receive feedback after. PPH take a small commission of each job, but the more jobs you do, the lower the amount they take. I have picked up regular clients from this and now people contact me as my feedback is good.

You can also promote certain services you offer by the hour (not as dodgy as it sounds!) called Hourlies and by committing to do a job in a set time, you are more likely to attract clients who want a set rate. These can range from writing a press release, teaching someone to set up a blog, or designing a logo. My first Hourlie was for a flyer design service (above) completed in two hours and you upload images to accompany your service. Sometimes the jobs take longer than your quoted time, sometimes shorter, but it's all about building up your contacts and getting to working on a variety of projects. I have designed for gyms, salons, healthcare companies and gospel choirs, so its never boring!


My second offering was for a branding service (above) designing a logo, business card and letterhead, mainly aimed at small businesses. You can use the site to supplement your full time job, giving you extra cash to spend on shoes! Who doesn't need a little bit extra for life's luxuries?
I'm thinking about putting a wedding package out there too, having just done my first invitation design, this stuff costs so much these days and its nice to have something bespoke for your money.
All in all I've had a good experience with the site, I even got free business cards this week when they team up with Moo.com, so I was quite chuffed about that.

So if you have talents, why not put them to use and get paid for it? You never know if may be the start of something!  Let me know how you get on.

***Shameless plug*** If you need a project designed please visit my website lorainewinter.com or email loraine@lorainewinter.com

Some more of my work below, on my favourites, magazines!


















4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Your so talented!! And a belated happy birthday btw! This is such a nice helpful post!
    xx

    http://quirkyengineer.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought i'd do something a little different and hope people get something from it. Hope your exams went well BTW!

      Loraine x

      Delete
    2. I'm sure its gonna be a great help to loads of people!! And yes, my exams went quite well thanks!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Great blog and some really interesting info here... I need to re read and digest that's for sure!! Good luck! Oh oh and adding you to my roll x

    ReplyDelete